Kentucky Avenue School, a K-8 independent school in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh is always looking for terrific people who might be interested in substitute teaching! Kentucky Avenue seeks to hire a creative, innovative and experienced educator with a commitment to experiential learning. KAS values the integration of social and emotional learning with academics, and is dedicated to providing highly differentiated curriculum in a warm, inclusive school climate. Additionally, Kentucky Avenue School embraces Maker-Centered Learning and the Responsive Classroom approach.
- Teaching all subjects to a group of children
- Working as a part of a team; extra duties include recess, lunch and carpool duties
- Being an integral part of a caring community of learners
- Bachelor’s degree is required, a master’s degree in elementary education is a real plus.
- Ideal candidates will have some elementary school teaching experience, an understanding of differentiated instruction, a flexible and team-oriented approach, excellent written and oral communication skills, exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, superior interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor.
- A depth of knowledge and understanding of young children
- A passion for working with young children
- A knowledge of guided reading and teaching Singapore Math
- Sensitivity to diverse communities of learners and an appreciation of developmental differences in an elementary school setting
- A knowledge of 21st Century Skills and how they relate to classroom teaching
Lunch is included on Mondays and Wednesdays when school is in session.
Click above to send resume, cover letter and two letters of recommendation to:
Ellen McConnell Sanderson
Kentucky Avenue School